CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, November 27, 2010

Daring Bakers - Crostata


The 2010 November Daring Bakers’ challenge was hosted by Simona of briciole. She chose to challenge Daring Bakers’ to make pasta frolla for a crostata. She used her own experience as a source, as well as information from Pellegrino Artusi’s Science in the Kitchen and the Art of Eating Well.

What perfect timing for a daring bakers challenge! I have put off baking goodies for most of this month because we've been watching our waistlines. I also knew the holidays were coming up and there would be plenty of excuses for me to bake. I was so excited that I would be able to use this challenge in my Thanksgiving festivities!

I made both a Caramel Apple Crostata and an Apple Cranberry Crostata. They were both easy to make and delicious! Even though they look very similar to my traditional apple pies the crust is very different. While my usual pie crust is light and flaky, this crust is more dense like a shortbread. It was delicious but it definitely tasted like shortbread to me and since I love my pie crust recipe I probably won't make a crostata like this again. When I make another it will be filled with pastry cream and fresh fruit which I think will go wonderfully with the shortbread.

For the crust, I used the first version of the pasta frolla that was offered to us in this challenge. If you'd like the recipe, email me. I did have to add a teeny bit of water after everything was mixed together because it seemed a tad bit dry like things were not going to mix/stick together well.



I added cranberries to half of the apple mixture and I drizzled caramel over the other half of the mixture once it was in the tart shells. I also chose to make two of the crostatas with a lattice top and two with a star cut out of dough. They turned out great! Enjoy!


23 comments:

Audax

WOW I love both apple versions of your crostata and the decorations on top are so cute. Well done on this challenge. Cheers from Audax in Sydney Australia.

Tadeja

I agree! :) Irresistably cute!

shelley c.

Yum - caramel apple sounds fantastic and decadent, and I LOVE the combination of apples and cranberries. I think they look great with the stars on top, too - a little extra pizazz! :) Really awesome job on the challenge!!

Jeanne

These look spectacular! I made cranberry apple filling too. Caramel apple filling is a great idea and I bet it tasted fantastic!

Laura

Adorable! Love the idea of cran-apple and caramel apple.

nikki

Yours looks beautiful! Nice job!

Brenna Hawley

Thanks for the comment on my blog! Yours look super tasty! I'm not sure this challenge was totally up my alley, so I'm hoping for something really exciting next month!

Anonymous

super job this month. Love the sound of the caramel apple

Evelyne CulturEatz

Both crostatas look applelicious :-)

Aparna Balasubramanian

Your crostate are so pretty. I think apple's the best too and made mine with apple pie filling. :)

chef_d

Caramel apple sounds delicious, they both look yummy!

Renata

Love them both! Cute and delicious!

Deeba PAB

Caramel Apple or Apple Cranberry...both calling my name, and what a difficult choice. I love how you brought them together. Well done on the challenge!

SimplyForties

Beautiful! I had a hard time not using my own pastry recipe too but was glad I followed through with the pasta frolla. What great fillings you chose. Great job!

Pavithra Elangovan

Wow well done on the challenge , the crostata and the filling is awesome. Beautiful pictures.

bake in paris

Best choices of fillings, just adore the lettuce top and the addition of cranberries. Simply delicious :-)

Rosa's Yummy Yums

Great job! Your crostate look so pretty and delicious.

Cheers,

Rosa

Perfecting Pru

Oh this looks great. I love the idea of the cranberries - its so festive!

Anonymous

What beautiful pictures and flavor combinations!

Anonymous

Beautiful! I'm not sure how I feel about a heavier crust. I think I might try it with the cream and fresh fruit instead - like you suggested....but this definitely got me in the mood to make an apple cranberry pie!

Molly

These look absolutely adorable and super yummy!

Lori

Love those little tarts. Especially the star one- very cute.

Simona Carini

I really like both versions of crostata and the one with the star on top looks really cute. Very nice job on the challenge. I hope you try making it with pastry cream and fresh fruit: it is a great dessert.