CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, September 21, 2012

Lemon Raspberry Muffins


Halfway through summer my mom retired from her job. You can't have a retirement without a celebration so we hopped up to Vancouver for a girls' getaway. Before leaving my boys at home I baked up a batch of fresh muffins so they would have something tasty for breakfast the few days they were on their own. We just happened to have enough that we could take a few with us too. I'm glad we did because they were so good! The recipe said that I would only get 12 but they must have used large muffin cups whereas I must have medium sized or something. I ended up getting more like 18. Like I said earlier, I sure am glad I did. Enjoy!

Lemon Raspberry Muffins
Source: Eating Well

1 lemon
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup nonfat buttermilk
1/3 cup canola oil
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup white whole-wheat flour or whole-wheat pastry flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen (not thawed) raspberries

Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat 12 large (1/2-cup) muffin cups with cooking spray or line with paper liners.

Use a vegetable peeler to remove the zest from the lemon in long strips. Combine the zest and sugar in a food processor or blender; pulse until the zest is very finely chopped into the sugar. Add buttermilk, oil, egg and vanilla and pulse until blended.

Combine whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Add the buttermilk mixture and fold until almost blended. Gently fold in raspberries. Divide the batter among the muffin cups.

Bake the muffins until the edges and tops are golden, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack. Serve warm.

Makes 12-18 muffins (depending on size of muffin cups)

0 comments: