CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, April 23, 2011

Chicken Tortellini Soup

 
I have had this soup recipe in my recipe notebook for years and yet this is the first time I have ever made it. At my first job I participated in a Friday lunch bunch which entailed signing up for one Friday during the school year and preparing soup for the 25 to 30 people in the group. That one day was a bit of work, but not having to bring my lunch every Friday for the rest of the year made it all worthwhile!

One year someone had a brilliant idea to make a cookbook of all the soup recipes that we brought in for lunch. This recipe was one of those submitted and I have to say that I don’t know why I waited for so long to make it. My only excuse is that I don’t make soup all that often and when I find a recipe I usually make it exclusively. This soup will now be added to that repertoire because it tastes really great and is easy to make. Enjoy!  

Chicken Tortellini Soup
1 pound chicken, cut into 1-inch cubes
46 ounces chicken broth
1 cup carrots, sliced
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1/2 cup celery, sliced
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon pepper


1 cup dried cheese-filled tortellini, uncooked
1 bay leaf
2 tablespoons snipped parsley

Cook chicken over medium heat 5-7 minutes until no longer pink. Add remaining ingredients, except parsley. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Cover; reduce heat.

Simmer over medium-low heat 20 minutes or until pasta is tender. Sprinkle with parsley before serving.

Makes 6 servings

0 comments: