CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, July 8, 2011

Cheese and Bacon Muffins


A savory variation of the raspberry muffins that I posted a bit ago. I would have to say that they kind of grew on me. First impression was that they were a bit bland even with the addition of cheese and bacon. Beyond the first one, and even into the second day, my opinion of them improved. Even with the improvement, my preference is definitely to use this batter with a fruit and venture onto the sweet side. When and if I use this recipe for a savory muffin again, I might decide to add some diced green chiles or something with a bit of pep.  
I did use whole wheat pastry flour instead of all-purpose flour like I used with the raspberry muffins so that might have made a difference. Also, I reduced the amount of sugar and added in shredded cheddar cheese and bacon. Enjoy!

Cheese and Bacon Muffins
Makes a dozen muffins

2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons sugar
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup cooked bacon, crumbled

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Prepare muffin pan.

Stir flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and sugar together. Make a well in the center.

Beat eggs with a fork. Stir in milk and melted butter. Pour into well in flour mixture. Mix quickly and lightly with a fork until moist. Gently stir in the cheese and bacon.

Divide batter evenly between the prepared muffin cups. Turn oven down to 400 degrees F before baking. 

Bake for 25 minutes or until golden.

0 comments: