CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Whole Wheat Flour Tortillas and Breakfast Burritos


Homemade tortillas have been on my to do list for a while. In fact, over the past month they have been on our menu 3 different times. Two of those I never took the time to make them and just ended up doing an egg dish for breakfast, but I finally decided to take the time and make them to pair with our breakfast burritos. I made these the same day that I made the homemade phyllo dough for baklava so I definitely got some practice with rolling out dough until it was thin.


While these were fun to make and tasted fine as a part of our burrito I don't know that I'll be rushing to make them again. I felt like the time spent on them wasn't necessarily worth the finished product. I know that it's better for you to not have pre-packaged foods but the few times we eat tortillas I can't see it being a problem by buying ones already prepared. They also didn't store well for me. We didn't end up using all of the 8 to 10 that I made and when I stuck them in a ziploc bag they weren't great as leftovers the next day. It still was a fun process though. Enjoy!

Whole Wheat Flour Tortillas
Source: Hallee the Homemaker

2 cups whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 tablespoons shortening
1/2 cup warm water

In a medium bowl, combine the flour, salt, and baking powder. Cut the shortening into the flour mixture and thoroughly combine. Add the warm water and mix with a fork until the dough forms a ball. If you need more water, add it a tablespoon at a time.

Place dough on a lightly floured surface and knead about 20 times. Put back into the bowl, cover with towel, and let rest for about 15 minutes.

For 8-inch tortillas, divide dough into 12 equal portions. For 10-inch tortillas, divide dough into 8 equal portions. Roll each piece of dough into a ball. On a lightly floured surface, use a rolling pin to flatten each ball into an 8-inch or 10-inch circle. The tortilla will be very thin. Stack between sheets of wax paper.

Place a tortilla on a medium-hot ungreased skillet or griddle. Cook about 30 seconds or until the dough starts to puff and bubble up. Turn and cook another 30 seconds. Remove from pan. Place in a tortilla heater, in foil, or use immediately.

For Breakfast Burritos:
Use the tortilla as a wrap around your favorite breakfast items. Suggestions include: eggs, bacon, sausage, ham, tomatoes, peppers, cheese, olives, salsa, sour cream, guacamole . . .

0 comments: