CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, March 30, 2012

Oreo Truffles


I really need to step up my game in the food photography department. Yikes, the picture of these truffles really stinks. I think my problem is that I don't have a lot of props or dishes, I don't have a lot of knowledge about lighting, and I don't have a lot of time to work on it. Yes, I know, excuses, excuses, excuses. If only this was my job, then I would have to find time for it, right? I wish. And since it's not, you'll just have to endure very unprofessional photos of everyday food that is made in my non-professional kitchen. Now on to the Oreo truffles!

I was asked to make a cake for the baby shower that was canceled back in January because of our lovely winter snowfall, and seeing as how I came down sick the weekend before the shower I just didn't have energy to teach all day, make 3 dozen iced sugar cookies for our fantastic classified staff, and bake and frost 2 three layer cakes. Instead, I suggested the idea of a dessert bar. Another staff member was planning to bring dark chocolate cupcakes so I figured we wouldn't want too much cake (did I really just say that there could be too much cake?) for the shower and volunteered to bring Salted Caramel Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars, Lemon Bars, and Oreo Truffles.

Not as much work as 2 three layer cakes but still a bit of work. What made me choose Oreo Truffles were a few things. First, I wanted something that was mostly chocolate. Second, I leaned toward wanting one dessert with mint but wasn't sure how many people actually like mint. Third, I wanted something easy. Fourth, and finally, pictures of these were everywhere I looked. Blogs, facebook, pinterest, you name it and they were there.

They really are easy to make. I found a few sites that had clear directions as well as helpful tips. You really can't mess up a three ingredient dessert, but some truffles can definitely look a bit better than others. I didn't spend my time trying to temper the chocolate to make it shiny. I just didn't have enough time, nor was I motivated to have them look perfect. They were good. I think I liked the regular Oreo filling compared to the berry filling. Oh, did I mention that I made half with a regular Oreo filling and half with a berry Oreo filling? My son took one bite of a berry Oreo and said, "It tastes like my vitamins." No, that doesn't mean healthy and good for you, it means fake grape (or fruit) flavoring. Others liked them, but I think I was a purist when it came to a choice between the two flavors. The regular Oreos are in white chocolate and the berry Oreos are in semi-sweet chocolate. Enjoy!

Oreo Truffles
Sources: The Capitol Baker and Two Peas

1 package (8 oz.) cream cheese, softened
1 package Oreo cookies*
16 oz. semi-sweet chocolate**

*You can use any type of Oreo cookies with this recipe- regular, chocolate, mint, vanilla, or berry.
**You can use any type of chocolate with this recipe - white, dark, semi-sweet, or milk chocolate.


Place the entire package of Oreos in a food processor or blender and pulse until crushed completely. If you do not have a food processor or blender, you can also place the cookies in a plastic bag and use a rolling pin to crush the cookies.

Pour the crushed cookies into a bowl and mix with the cream cheese until well blended. You should start by using a spoon, but may need to use your hands to ensure the cream cheese is evenly distributed. Place the bowl in the fridge for about 30 minutes to firm up.

Shape the mixture into 1 inch balls and place in the freezer for 30-60 minutes. While rolling, if you feel the mixture is becoming too soft, simply place the bowl in the fridge until the mixture becomes more firm.

Shortly before removing the balls from the freezer, melt the chocolate either in a double boiler or in the microwave. If using the microwave, heat in 30 second intervals and stir in between. Do this until the chocolate can be stirred to be completely melted. Take the melted chocolate and set aside for 1 minute. Now you can dip each ball into the melted chocolate and place on a wax or parchment paper lined baking sheet. You can use a fork to lift the chocolate covered ball out and onto the paper, or a large skewer stuck through the top. The fork worked best for me after trying a few different options. You should have leftover chocolate for drizzling as a garnish, or if you are sprinkling with Oreo crumbs, sprinkle immediately after transferring from the bowl to the pan.

Place the baking sheet in the fridge for 30-60 minutes. Shortly before removing the baking sheet from the fridge, take the remaining melted chocolate and if it has hardened you can place it in the microwave for 5-20 seconds. Wait a few minutes for it to cool and then place in a ziploc bag and cut a small hole in one corner. Remove the balls from the fridge and pipe the chocolate on top of each ball.

Refrigerate until firm, about 15 minutes.

Makes 36-48 truffles

3 comments:

Scrappy Sugar Girl

I totally empathize with your comments about food photography. My food pics don't always come out great either. Also, I forget to not take a pic on a paper plate. So kudos to you for putting it on a real plate.

the ebay lady

Cute as a bug blog you have here. I just set up a new blog spot myself. I just followed you and hoping you'll follow back!

buy wow account

Cool! Great blog.=D