CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, March 17, 2012

Penne Pasta with Sun-Dried Tomato and Chicken Cream Sauce


Another recipe off pinterest! I feel good that I am not only pinning yummy looking food, but I am actually making the recipes. It's nice to go to my pin board to find recipe suggestions for our two week menu. Granted, most of my pinned recipes are related to baking, but a few have to do with savory dishes. It could be that I am more picky with savory dishes, or it could be that they don't draw my eye. Whatever the case, this one is a keeper.

I did very few modifications to this recipe. I decided to double the amount of pasta and used whole wheat noodles. I also added shredded chicken to give it a bit more protein and some substance. Even with that it still left you wanting more. I'm not sure if that was because all pasta dishes seem to do that to me because I love pasta, or if it just wasn't as filling. Also, because it wasn't drenched in cream sauce it was a bit dry the next day for leftovers. We still enjoyed it because we knew that not being drenched in sauce was a bit healthier and not so calorie laden, but I'm sure that if you didn't double the pasta you would have a more restaurant style Alfredo dish. Enjoy!

Sun-Dried Tomato Penne Pasta with Chicken
Source: Slightly modified from Very Best Baking

2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
16 ounces dry penne pasta (I used whole wheat)
8 sun-dried tomatoes, chopped (about 1/3 cup)
1 can (12 fl. oz) evaporated milk
2 cups Italian four cheese blend, shredded
1 teaspoon basil
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Bake or grill chicken breasts; cool, and cut into small pieces or shred. Set aside

Prepare pasta according to package directions. Add the sun-dried tomatoes to the boiling water for the last two minutes of cooking time; drain.

Meanwhile, combine evaporated milk, cheese, basil, garlic powder, and black pepper in medium saucepan. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until cheese is melted. Remove from heat. Add chicken, and stir until combined.

Add pasta and sun-dried tomatoes to cheese sauce; stir until combined.

0 comments: