CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, January 27, 2012

Daring Bakers - Scones (aka Biscuits)

Audax Artifex was our January 2012 Daring Bakers’ host. Aud worked tirelessly to master light and fluffy scones (aka biscuits) to help us create delicious and perfect batches in our own kitchens!

Great challenge this month! Scones (otherwise known as biscuits in my house, unless you are my 5 year old son and you call anything in this basic shape a muffin no matter how many times mom tells you it is not a muffin) are very versatile. You can pair these up with breakfast, lunch, dinner, or an afternoon snack. They can be savory or sweet. Imagine just about anything and a biscuit can accompany it. See what I mean about versatile!

I was able to make two different batches this month. For my first, I used the recipe that Audax provided and planned to have them as breakfast sandwiches. They were easy to make and you can see that they rose well and had great layering. Delicious with bacon, egg, and cheese and equally delicious slathered in raspberry jam!


For the second batch I used a different recipe. One out of a cookbook that I received as a Christmas gift. I figured that the same basic principles were used and there couldn't be that much difference between the two recipes. Boy, was I wrong. The second batch barely rose at all. I had planned to make a buttermilk variety but someone forgot to pick up buttermilk from the store so I made a cheddar version instead. While they didn't rise well they sure did taste good. Cheese makes everything taste better! Enjoy!


12 comments:

Jenni

Your biscuits look great! NIce and flaky! We made fried egg sandwiches with ours, too! :)

Irina

Great rise, indeed! I did not get around to making some savoury ones, but cheese I believe would be my next choice as well. Well done!

Jo

Even though your last batch didn't rise as much, it looks like you had some nice layers, they all look great though! That sandwich looks pretty darn fabulous too.

Renata

Congratulations on your successful and mouthwatering scones! I totally agree with you that cheese makes everything taste better!

Korena

That sconewich - I think I know what I'm making for breakfast tomorrow!

Sawsan@chef in disguise

I loved Audax's recipe too because I tried other recipes and they were not nearly as good as his.
loved your story about your son and muffins..so cute

Sawsan@chef in disguise

I loved Audax's recipe too because I tried other recipes and they were not nearly as good as his.
loved your story about your son and muffins..so cute

Marjorie (Sugar for the Brain)

They look amazing! Yor fisrt photo wow they look flaky and they are very high :D

Sanjeeta kk

Lovely spongy scone!

Jeanne

Cheddar sounds so good! I bet the egg sandwiches would be great on those as well!

Amy @ ElephantEats

Great job on the biscuits! They look really fluffy. Making them into a breakfast sandwich sounds AMAZING! I love that your 5 year old calls everything a muffin, hehe...too funny :)

buy starwars account

WoW! Looks really delicious.