CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, May 19, 2012

Skinny Chicken Cordon Bleu



I found this recipe on Pinterest and wanted to try it for dinner right away. The original post has a final product that looks WAY better than mine. I have no idea how she was able to get the chicken cut into such fine cutlets and then get it to fold over all of the "stuff" stuffed inside.

I thought for sure that all was lost when I could not get the chicken to fold over the ham and swiss cheese. I ended up having to roll the ham and swiss inside the chicken cutlet and the skewer it with a toothpick. My husband actually had to take over on the last few rolls because I was so perturbed at them. I brushed them with the beaten egg and sprinkled them with bread crumbs knowing that the cheese was just going to ooze out all over the pan.


I was surprised that the chicken was not swimming in runny cheese. Yes, it did ooze out but not so much that it was a complete mess. In fact, the cheese stayed pooled up right by the chicken it belonged to so it was easy to incorporate it into each bite. I thought they tasted pretty good. My husband really enjoyed them since I think he ate 3 of them before all was said and done. We tossed the leftovers in the freezer so I guess we'll have to wait to see how they taste after being frozen. Enjoy!


Chicken Cordon Bleu
Source: Skinny Taste

32 oz (4) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
12 (1 oz each) slices thin lean deli ham
12 (1 oz each) slices reduced fat Swiss cheese
salt
1 large egg
2 large egg whites
1 tablespoon water
3/4 cup seasoned whole wheat breadcrumbs

Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray baking sheet with oil.

Slice chicken breast halves into thin cutlets. (Usually 3 thin cutlets can be gotten out of one breast half.) Pound them to make them thinner if you wish. This helps when you wrap the cutlets.

Cut each slice of cheese into squares and stack on top of each other. Place a slice of ham on top of the chicken, top with cheese and wrap chicken around to completely cover cheese, using toothpicks to secure. (Make sure there are no holes so cheese doesn't leak out). Season with a little salt.

Whisk eggs and water to make an egg wash. Dip chicken into egg wash, then breadcrumbs.

Place chicken on baking sheet and bake for about 25 minutes, or until cooked thoroughly.

Makes 12

0 comments: