CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Coconut Chocolate Chunk Blondies


Brownies = chocolate. At least that is the assumption that I have been going off of for my entire life. I have always figured that if I am going to make a brownie it's going to be a chocolate brownie, typically with as much chocolate as possible. So, in an effort to begin working on my Top 100 list I decided to bite the bullet and bake a blondie. For those of you who are in the dark as I was, a blondie is basically a brownie without the cocoa powder. It has a butter and sugar base so it tastes more like toffee. Of course, as you can see from my photo that chocolate can be added to the blondie if you can't live without it.



I enjoyed the detour from a chocolate based brownie. And yes, it took me summoning up all of my will power to not eat the whole pan in one day! Enjoy!

Coconut Chocolate Chunk Blondies
Source: Southern Food and Brown Eyed Baker

1 cup flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
4 ounces unsalted butter, melted and cooled to room temperature
1 cup light brown sugar, packed
1 large egg
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup flaked coconut
1 cup chocolate chunks or chips

--Optional Topping--
1 cup semisweet or bittersweet chocolate chips
1 teaspoon butter or shortening


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour an 8 or 9 inch square baking pan.

Combine the flour and salt; set aside.

Stir together the melted butter and brown sugar until smooth; beat in egg and vanilla extract until well blended.

Slowly beat in the flour mixture until blended, then stir in the coconut and chocolate chunks.

Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and smooth even with a rubber spatula. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until set in the center but still soft. Do not overbake.

For the optional topping: Combine the chocolate chips and butter in a small bowl and microwave in 30 second intervals until melted and smooth. Let the bars cool slightly before drizzling with chocolate. Cool completely before cutting them into bars.

1 comments:

Grandma

thanks for something other than chocolate, for those of us who aren't "chocaholics". I know you have had a couple of cakes that aren't chocolate...but mostly it is all about chocolate for desserts. I know, it is your blog and chocolate is important to you, but thanks :)