CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Three Apple Salad

 

I think this post might be more about photos than about food. Let me just say that my photo of the finished product does not look like the professional photo at all! In fact, you could more aptly name mine the "Ghost of the Three Apple Salad". I guess you'd have to see the professional photo to know and compare (it is from a recipe card I picked up many years ago), and since you can't see it I will try to describe it to you. 

In the professional photo there is a lovely dark blue plate with some green leaf lettuce as the salad base. All the different apple colors are shown in their glory, red, green, and yellow all peeking out (hence the three apple salad). The cheddar cubes pop, as do the walnuts and carefully placed dried cranberries. And the dressing looks as though it is strategically painted on a few apples here and a few cheese cubes there. Seriously. 

Now look back at my photo. White background, white plate, GREEN leafy lettuce, and pasty white ghost salad. In my defense, you could see the different colors much better before I mixed the dressing up with the other ingredients. And again, one more reason why I am not paid for my photography skills or lack thereof. Enjoy!
Three Apple Salad
3 apples (1 red, 1 yellow, 1 green), diced to measure 2 cups
3 ounces swiss, cheddar, or gouda cheese, diced to measure 3/4 cup
1/2 cup diced celery
1/2 cup dried cherries or cranberries
1 tablespoon thinly sliced green onion
1/4 cup chopped, toasted walnuts or pecans

Dressing:
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 teaspoon frozen apple juice concentrate
1 teaspoon lemon juice
4 lettuce leaves (optional)

In a medium bowl, combine apples, cheese, celery, cherries, green onions, and nuts.

For dressing, in a small bowl stir together yogurt, mayonnaise, apple juice concentrate, and lemon juice. Toss gently with salad. Serve on lettuce leaves, if desired.

Makes 4 servings

2 comments:

Jamie

I have made something like this in past and your post just reminded me how delicious it was! Thanks so much for sharing your link with me on Facebook!

-Jamie
My Baking Addiction

Ilke

It tastes good though , right? Does not matter what the picture looks like...And it looks good by the way!
Apples are a nice twist to the chicken salad recipe!