CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, April 1, 2012

Sun-dried Tomato Penne Pasta with Chicken


What in the world! Why is it that I can't seem to get ahead in my posts. First it was report cards, then conferences, and now spring break. Just one thing after another. However, this "thing" that is causing me to be behind is a good thing since it means I am out camping for the week, spending time with my family, and relaxing.

So, on to the food! I found this recipe on pinterest (yes, yes, it seems to be the place to be searching these days) and it looked and sounded pretty good so I thought I'd schedule it in for one of our dinners on the menu. It is a straight forward recipe, and I followed it pretty much to the letter. I added shredded chicken to give it a bit more oomphf in the belly. I also decided to double the pasta (which would basically be like halving the sauce) so that it wasn't quite so high calorie. It was a tasty dish that left you wanting to dish up seconds for sure. The only negative was that when heating up leftovers the next day the smaller amount of sauce to noodle ratio made the noodles a bit drier. In hindsight, while saving on a few calories it also made it a bit less creamy. I guess you have to choose the lesser of two evils for you. Enjoy!

Sun-dried Tomato Penne Pasta
Source: Very Best Baking

2 cups (8 oz.) dry penne pasta (or 16 oz. if you want to double the pasta)
8 sun-dried tomatoes, chopped (about 1/3 cup)
12 oz. evaporated milk
2 cups (8 oz.) Italian four-blend cheese
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked and shredded

Prepare pasta according to package directions, adding sun-dried tomatoes to boiling pasta water for last two minutes of cooking time; drain.

Meanwhile, combine evaporated milk, cheese, basil, garlic powder and pepper in medium saucepan. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until cheese is melted. Remove from heat.

Add pasta and sun-dried tomatoes to cheese sauce; add shredded chicken; stir until combined.

Makes 7 - 1/2 cup servings

0 comments: