CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, February 4, 2012

Better Than Sex Cake - Paula's Version


Remember about a month ago when I posted my chocolate version of this cake? Later that week we headed out for another holiday party and I decided to make another version. I mean, I couldn't just make one version of this cake, now could I? I really wanted to do a thorough job with my comparisons.

My second cake consisted of yellow cake, pineapple, whipping cream, and toasted coconut. Easy to make and pretty tasty too.

I hesitate to say this because I don't want to be disloyal or anything but this flavor combo was definitely better than the chocolate one. The problem with the chocolate is that the chocolate cake, pudding, and chunks were all the same chocolate flavor with varying textures, whereas this cake had a variety of flavors and textures that worked nicely together.

So, the verdict: I would definitely make this cake over the chocolate, but it still doesn't hold a candle to the real thing. Enjoy!

Better Than Sex Cake
Source: Food Network

1 box yellow cake mix, plus ingredients needed to prepare
1 (20 ounce) can of crushed pineapple
1 1/3 cups sugar
1 (3.4 ounce) box French vanilla pudding, plus ingredients to prepare
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1 cup flaked sweetened coconut, toasted

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9x13 pan.(Toast coconut for about 10 minutes in a 350 degree F oven.)

Prepare yellow cake, pour into pan; bake 30-35 minutes until edges pull away from pan.

While cake is baking, combine the pineapple and 1 cup of sugar in a saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.

Remove cake from oven and using a fork pierce holes into cake. Pour pineapple mixture over hot cake and set aside.

Prepare pudding according to package directions. Spread pudding over cake and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled.

Whip heavy cream and remaining sugar until stiff peaks form. Spread whipping cream over cake and sprinkle with toasted coconut.

Makes one 9x13 cake

0 comments: