CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, February 19, 2012

Sausage, Cheese, and Egg Casserole


Honestly, it has been a while since I made this and I feel so rummy from needing to go to bed that I can't even recall many of the details. In typing up the recipe I do recall a few things though.

One, I wasn't sure what was meant by breakfast sausage. No where could I find breakfast sausage. I knew she wasn't referring to links (which said breakfast sausage on the package), but all the ground sausage was either Italian or Maple or Hot. I finally just went with regular ground sausage and called it good.

Two, I wasn't sure what was meant by Italian bread. I realized from this how a recipe can be very regional. I didn't know if Italian meant a type of bread, like French bread, or if it had to do with being seasoned in a certain way. After looking around a bit I just went with regular French bread and called it good.

Finally, I totally didn't read all the way through the recipe before getting ready to make it. Therefore, when I pulled everything out at 8:00am to make it for breakfast that morning after reading that it only took about 45 minutes to bake, I was completely surprised to read in step 3 that you needed to cover and refrigerate it overnight. I quickly calculated that if I got it prepared I would be able to let it sit for about 8 or 9 hours and we could have it for dinner that night. Who doesn't like breakfast for dinner? My family seemed to enjoy it even though it was served a bit later than planned. Enjoy!


Sausage, Cheese, and Egg Casserole
Source: Brown Eyed Baker

9 eggs
9 slices of Italian bread, about an inch thick, crusts removed, cubed
1 pound breakfast sausage
3/4 cup shredded Swiss cheese
3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
3/4 cup milk
1 1/2 teaspoons salt

Crumble and cook the sausage according to package directions; drain and set aside.

Lightly whisk together the eggs until combined. Mix in all other ingredients, and then fold in sausage.

Pour the mixture into a greased 9×13-inch baking pan. Cover and refrigerate overnight.

The next day, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Bake, uncovered for 45 minutes. Let sit for 10 minutes before serving.

0 comments: